International courses at Ackworth School
Ackworth School is steeped in history and oﬀers you a traditional British education as a pathway to university, either here in the UK or in your home country or elsewhere.
We have a variety of pathways of study for international students. From mainstream study and short stay immersion courses, to focused English language courses in preparation for A-Levels, our expert teachers can help you achieve your academic goals.
The Pre A-Level course prepares pupils for the demands of A-Level study, with a combination of English language and academic skills development.
The Pre A-Level at Ackworth includes:
- Regular testing of reading, speaking and writing skills
- Intakes in September, January and April
- English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- Small teaching groups
- Half-termly academic reports
- Regular testing and monitoring of progress
- A range of exams from Cambridge ESOL qualifications (KET and PET) to Cambridge IELTS
- Introduction to academic subjects offered at A-Level
- Lessons in British culture
- Weekend cultural trip to London
- Compulsory evening study supervised by teachers
- Designed to prepare international students for A-Level study
- A standard of 4.5 on the IELTS scale is required
- Strong focus on written and spoken English
- Learn Research skills, Essay Writing skills, Written and Oral Comprehension skills, Public Speaking and Presentation skills
- Well-qualified EAL Teachers
- Subjects; Maths, English, Business Studies, Design Technology, Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- PE and Games lessons
- Aim is to achieve IELTS Level 5.0 or higher to succeed at A-Level
- 1-to-1 University adviser
- Access to after-school Clubs and Societies programme which supports the academic curriculum
- Weekend activities, sports and excursions to assist in use of English in informal settings
- Assistance with travel arrangements to and from Leeds and Manchester Airports
- Access (subject to ability) to the School’s Football Academy; Table Tennis Academy, and Squash Academy
In-Term Immersion Programme
Ackworth’s In-Term Immersion Programme provides a wonderful and unique opportunity for international pupils to join us at any time during the school year to experience life as an Ackworth boarder.
Our programme runs during normal term time and provides a total immersion into our mainstream classes. Pupils also join after-school clubs and societies and can get involved in the school’s sporting programme.
The programme includes:
- Weekend activities and visits to local attractions
- A full boarding experience with all meals, accommodation and laundry
- Use of Ackworth School uniform for the duration of your stay
- No guardian required
- No Entrance Assessment is required but a reasonable level of functional English is necessary
The English as an Additional Language Department provides overseas students with extra help and support. For students in First to Fifth Form we provide at least four sessions of EAL each week. These groups typically consist of about 4 students. We provide general English tuition which helps students develop their language skills and so cope better with life and study in Britain as well as preparing students to take Cambridge English exams (KET/PET/FCE) and General IELTS.
Students in the Sixth Form prepare for academic IELTS which they will need for university. For students in the Sixth Form, we usually offer five lessons per week, and these are charged as extras. At this level we begin to prepare students for the Academic IELTS exam which they will need for university entry.
The EAL Department provides a lively, dynamic environment in which to learn. As groups are small, there is scope for individual learning programmes which cater for the specific requirements of each student. Most students find that EAL provides them with a place to ‘touch base’; time and space to discuss language problems that may be difficult to bring up in larger class environments.
In this way it gives them a chance to experience more student-driven learning which provides more than just grammar and vocabulary practice. We aim to develop the student as a whole and so help them be better prepared, all round, for long-term study in the UK.
Cultural Visits Programme
(some are compulsory and others are optional)
- Lightwater Valley Theme Park
- Sports Day
- Cross Country
- Ice Skating
- Jorvik Viking Centre
- York Minster
- National Coal Mining Museum
- Ten Pin Bowling
- Founders’ Day
- Ripon Law Courts
- Magna Science Museum
- Thackray Medical Museum
- International Week at St Wilfrid’s
- Fountains Abbey
- Aerial Extreme
- Wilberforce Museum
- Sherwood Forest